Find out if you’re a candidate forbariatric surgery
To know whether weight loss surgery is an appropriate weight loss tool for you, let’s look at the medical guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for bariatric surgery.
You may be a candidate for surgery if you meet at least one of the following two criteria:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 40
- Have a BMI of at least 35 with one or more serious obesity-related conditions
- Indian populations have cut-off 2.5 less because we are more prone to complications of obesity at lower BMI.
And meet both of the following criteria:
- Have failed more conservative weight loss alternatives, such as supervised diet, exercise, and behavior modification programs
- Are at least 18 years of age
There are other things to consider, too. You need to think about your determination and ability to make some serious changes in the way you live your life. Bariatric surgery is a tool to help improve your health. As with any new tool, you must actively learn how to use it to get the best benefits.
Talk to your doctor to see if weight loss surgery is right for you.